Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Tasty Toaster Tarts

My family will tell you...I love Pop Tarts.  Always have.  However, being able to make my own is even better.  I came across this recipe through a YouTube video done by Joanne Chang of Flour Bakery in Boston, Massachusetts.  King Arthur adapted her recipe for the home baker and, I will attest, they come out perfectly.  I chose this morning to make the Cinnamon/Brown Sugar filling, but I have also made them with Strawberry Jam.  Here is the recipe and my step by step photos to help you create one of my favorite breakfast treats.

Pastry (Pate Brisee)
2 cups All purpose flour
1 T sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into pats
1 large egg
2 T milk

Cinnamon Filling
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
4 tsp. flour
1 large egg, to brush on pastry before filling
Mix the filling ingredients, except for the egg, and set aside

Jam Filling
3/4 cup Raspberry or Strawberry Jam
1 T cornstarch mixed with 1 T cold water
In a small saucepan, mix the jam with the cornstarch/water mixture.  Bring the mixture to a boil and simmer, stirring for 2 minutes.  Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.

Make the dough:
Whisk the flour, sugar and salt together.  Work in the butter, with your hands, just until you have large lumps of butter still visible.  Next, whisk together the egg and milk.  Add to the dough and use your dough whisk to stir in.


Dump the "shaggy" dough onto your bread board.  You will do what's called frissage to incorporate the butter and create a flaky dough. 


Frissage is a baking term, meaning to "smear".  Using the heel of your hand smear the butter into the dough.  This technique will create the flaky layers and a very tender crust.
Once you have completed this technique, the dough comes together easily into a disk.  Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Divide dough into two halves.  Roll each half into a rectangle, 1/8-inch thick, and trim to a 12 x 9-inches.  (Save dough scrapes to bake while your tarts are chilling.) Lightly score the rectangle into 3"x4" rectangles.  You will have nine.

Place the first dough "sheet" on a piece of parchment and roll out the second disk the same way.  Brush the dough, you have scored into 9 pieces, with the beaten egg.  Place 1 tablespoon of filling in the center of each tart.  Place the second layer of dough over the first one and cut through the score lines.  Use a fork to press all around the edges.  Place the tray in the refrigerator and chill another 30 minutes.  Preheat oven to 350F-degrees.  Place dough scrapes on a baking tray and sprinkle with cinnamon/sugar mixture.  Bake 12-14 minutes, or until golden brown.

Bake toaster tarts for 20-30 minutes until golden brown.  Mix a simple glaze of 1 cup confectioners' sugar and 1-2 T hot water.  Spread onto the warm tarts.  Yum, yum.  Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh...oh my gosh...oh my gosh--I can make these!! It's so torturous to see your baked goods when I have to cut out sugar, but this recipe calls fro brown sugar and I have a substitute for that called "Whey Low" that is brown sugar with a low glycemic index. I LOVE brown sugar pop tarts (not as much as you, mom) and I can't wait to make these:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those looks so delicious! I look forward to trying them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love brown sugar pop tarts too. Who knew you could make them at home? Do you ever wonder how it was decided these were for breakfast and not a dessert? Why not ice cream for breakfast then or cupcake!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your thinking...you are my daughter!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These do look good. Maybe I can talk my personal baker into doing a stitching breakfast in the near future!!! Homemade English Muffins, Fresh eggs and Pop Tarts, doesn't get much better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan you are an enabler! I also love Pop Tarts, the brown sugar ones when I was young and now the strawberry ones! I am out of them, but not for long, with this recipe!

    ReplyDelete