Saturday, July 31, 2010

If it's Saturday...it must be Pancakes

After a week in Chicago at a trade show and visiting some special friends, I wanted to make something that reminded me of Saturday morning breakfast when I was growing up.  My mother made us pancakes, from scratch, off the "top of her head".  No recipe... just knowing what goes in these round disks of pure comfort. 

When my husband and I went to Scotland in 1993 for our 25th anniversary, we ate at the most wonderful little cafe, off a side street in Edinburgh, and we had the best multi-grain pancakes I've ever eaten.  So tender that they just melted in your mouth with the accompaniment of warm syrup.   So, when I thought about making pancakes this morning, those pancakes also popped in my head.

I like adding different flours and grains to pancakes (and waffles) because it's healthy, but mostly because I love to have some texture; mingling flavors combining to give you an eating experience.
I added blueberries, which are abundant right now, and, also so healthy and full of flavor.  Since breakfast is one of my favorite meals to make, I take my time to make it memorable...just like Mom!


Blueberry~Multi-grain Pancakes

In a large bowl combine the following dry ingredients:

1 cup All-purpose flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup wheat flour
1/2 cup old-fashion oats, ground to a flour
2 T flaxseed meal
3 T sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt

Use a flat whisk to combine the dry ingredients.

"Wet" ingredients:

3 T unsalted butter, melted
2 large eggs, slightly beaten
2 cups milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries

Melt the butter and set aside.  Make a "well" in the middle of your dry ingredients and add the eggs and 1 1/2 cups of the milk.  Use the flat whisk to stir to combine.  Add the vanilla to the last 1/2 cup of milk and add to the batter.  The batter will be thick, but should be pourable.

Meanwhile, heat a griddle on medium.  My mother use to sprinkle a few drops of water on the griddle and when the droplets "danced" it was ready.  I transferred the batter to a batter dispenser, but of course, you can ladle it onto the griddle.
After you have the pancakes poured, add a few blueberries to the top surface.

When "bubbles" form on the surface, it's time to flip.
Lower your temperature to med/low and continue to cook another 3-5 minutes.  Keep warm while making the rest of the pancakes.  I served mine with warmed Agave syrup, but you can use a good Grade B Maple syrup and plenty of butter.
The blueberries were warm and bursting with flavor as these wonderful pancakes just melted in my mouth...just like my memory.  Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Welcome back! I am glad you had a fun trip. These pancakes look heavenly! It is the last weekend of baseball!!! WOOHOOOO!!! Can you tell I'm thrilled? I will call you during the week.

    I love you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had fun with Eric and Dee, but the trade show was another story...we'll talk! Love you, xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband is the pancake maker on the weekends, I will share with him your lovely recipe! Love you xoxo

    ReplyDelete