Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Banana Cream Pie Shortbread...kind of

Maddie and I decided to make cookies today.  She had told me a few days ago that she wanted yellow ones, but we were unsuccessful in finding yellow sprinkles, but she eyed the rainbow ones and said, "these ones, Mimi."

Now, rainbow sprinkles don't really go with the recipe, but who am I to tell a toddler no...especially this cutie.  That's why, they may have the flavor of banana cream pie, but definitely not the look.  This isn't the first time I've let the influence of a toddler take over, and like my mother, I love to bake for others, no matter what their taste is.  I knew I wanted to make a "refrigerator" cookie because Maddie and I could make them up in the morning and bake them off in the afternoon, after her nap.  In fact, even if you can't bake them for a few days, this dough will last and even freeze for later use.

I might add that here in the Northeast, they had another 4 inches of snow yesterday, so Maddie was probably thinking rainbow (sprinkles) would be a happy thing with this weather!

Banana Cream Pie Shortbread
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
3/4 granulated sugar
1 ripe banana, smashed
2 tsp. vanilla
1 large egg
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
In the KitchenAid, using the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar.  Add the mashed banana and the egg.
 Beat well.  The batter may look a little "curdled" but don't worry that will disappear once the flour is added.  Add the flour and the salt and mix to combine.  I scraped the dough together and divided the batter.  I laid down some wax paper and gave the sprinkles to Maddie to pour out onto it...she definitely like pouring out the sprinkles :D
 I rolled the dough into a log and let Maddie roll it back and forth in the sprinkles.  We rolled up the wax paper, tucked under the ends, and refrigerated them for several hours.
Preheat oven to 350F-degrees and line baking sheets with parchment or use a Silpat.  Remove dough from the refrigerator and slice into 1/4-inch cookies, using a serrated knife. Bake cookies 8-10 minutes until golden brown on the edges.  Let cool completely.   Make up the creamy frosting while the cookies are cooling.

Cream Frosting: 
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened 
3 cups confectioners' sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
2-3 T heavy cream

Cream butter in the KitchenAid, using the paddle attachment.  Add the sugar and vanilla and beat well.  Add the heavy cream, one tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition until creamy.  Frost the one side of the cookie and add a top cookie.  
  The subtle taste of the banana could have been boosted with banana flavoring, which I have at home, but not here.  And, when I make these again, I probably will eliminate the rainbow sprinkles and roll the cookies in crushed Nilla wafers.  However, these tasted great and well, Maddie was pleased to tell her Mommy and Daddy..."she made them!"  Enjoy!
 

8 comments:

  1. These sound delicious.... Glad Maddie was so pleased with them. What a cutie!
    DeniseB

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your little helper and her new haircut is adorable! The cookies look very good and I like the little sprinkles! I will definitely bake these soon. Love, Barb

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are the sweetest Mimi a toddler could ask for!! I think I'm gonna send my kids over to your house for baking day.

    :)Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa, what a joy that would be! We'd bake and you could get your bathroom done : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. You KNOW how much I loved this!

    Of course your sweet Maddie NEEDED rainbow sprinkles. Smart girl.

    Love, love,

    Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island

    ReplyDelete
  6. well done maddie, they look perfect sprinkled in rainbow colors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to have had a sample of these Rainbow cookies. Great seeing you this past week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Barb-doesn't Maddie look like mom and how grandma cut her bangs short as a kid? She was so pleased to have a poneytail in her hair like Mimi!
    These were yummy cookies too. I love the idea of rolling them in crushed nilla wafers as well!

    ReplyDelete