Saturday, February 5, 2011

Chinese Egg Waffles~Gung Hay Fat Choy


February 3rd, began The Year of the Rabbit for the Chinese New Year and even though it's a winter occurance, it's a spring festival.  The Rabbit is associated with the earthly branch symbol and 2011 is designated (Metal) Rabbit.  I'm still new at this, but with the precious addition of our Madison last year, this has become a very important part of our lives and understanding of her culture. 
My Girls!
People born under the Year of the Rabbit are popular, compassionate, and sincere.  They tend to avoid conflict and are sometimes, pushovers, but enjoy home and moreover, entertaining at home.  In our family, we have two Tigers, two Dogs, and Four Rats!

When I espied this Egg Waffle iron in Williams-Sonoma, a few weeks ago, I knew I would make them for Chinese New Year.  They are typically "street food" found primarily in Hong Kong, called gai daan jai, but I discovered them on a menu here in  Seattle as well.  They remind me of funnel cakes, which I use to make with my mother, dusted with confectioners' sugar and sometimes smothered with fresh strawberries and whipped cream!  Last year I did Fortune Cookies and even though these were a little more challenging, they are delicious.

 Maddie began Chinese New Year with noddles...her favorite, but I bet when she comes to Mimi's house she'll love Egg Waffles too!

Chinese Egg Waffles (Gai Daan Jai)
4 egg yolks
3/4 cup milk
1 T vanilla extract
6 T (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup cake flour
1 tsp. baking powder
Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
3/4 tsp. salt
6 egg whites, beaten to medium peaks

Vegetable oil for cooking
Confectioners' sugar

Separate eggs-placing the egg white in a separate bowl, for a clean separation.

In a bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, milk vanilla, melted butter, and sugar until combined.  Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg.  Whisk the flour mixture into the egg yolk batter until no lumps remain.  

Add one-third of the whipped egg whites and stir lightly--this lightens the batter so folding in the remaining egg whites will be easier.  Gently fold in the remaining egg whites in 2 additions.

Set a wire rack on a baking sheet.  Preheat both sides of the Egg Waffle Pan on separate burners over medium heat until hot.  Lightly brush each side of the pan with vegetable oil and pour about 3/4 cup of batter in the center of the pan, immediately placing the other pan on top, then, flip over.  Cook for 2 to 2 1/2 minutes, then, flip the plan and cook on the other side another 2 minutes.

Open the pan, invert the waffle onto the rack-lined baking sheet and let cool for 2 to 3 minutes before serving.  I dusted the tops with confectioners' sugar, folded it into quarters, then dusted again. Serve warm.
Just before the Chinese New Year began, we are also celebrating Maddie's "Gotcha Day"--January 27th. It's the day Maddie was placed in Erin's arms and Maddie said to her, "Mommy!"  I cried.
In honor of her Gotcha Day, I've made a quilt to wrap her in our love forever.  Love you sweet little girl!
Gung Hay Fat Choy to everyone. Enjoy!
 

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful quilt and the egg waffles sound delish! Maddie is such a sweet little girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful tribute to Maddie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the post mom and for bring with us throught yhe journey to become a family with Maddie. The quilt is beautiful and the egg waffles sound yummy. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't begin to tell you all the emotions I felt when I saw the beautiful pictures of Erin, Kelly and Maddie---they were overwhelming even though you told me you had posted the pictures. Maddie is adorable eating her noodles and I know she will love the quilt that her Mimi made just for her. The egg waffles look pretty good also! Love, Barb

    ReplyDelete
  5. SUSAN DEAR!!! YOUR QUILT! Maddie will treasure it forever. I am so thrilled and amazed (and humbled) by what you made for her.

    You know I resonate with Chinese babies. My grands are half Chinese. I try to buy any books that I find that will help them understand their cultural traditions.

    Have you seen the book Moonbeams, Dumplings & Dragon Boats by Nina Simonds, Leslie Swartz, & the Boston Children's Museum.

    I enjoyed our visit and your creations.

    Sending love, love,

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  6. My jaw just dropped! The quilt is simply stunning! What an incredible gift for an incredible girl! The photo of the three girls is absolutely beautiful xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maddie is a doll! And your quilt is absolutely gorgeous! Love your colors!
    DeniseB

    ReplyDelete
  8. Susan you are such an artist in everything you do. You have really inspired me to do more things with a flair. Thanks for all the wonderful pictures of your girls. The quilt is breathtaking. I love your choice of colors

    ReplyDelete