Monday, April 1, 2013

Deconstructed Strawberry~Rhubarb Crumble & March's Apron Winner

Not to brag...but we had a record breaking 70+ degrees day yesterday and no Rain!!  I've lived in the Pacific Northwest for almost 12 years and we have NEVER had a dry or warm day Easter since I moved here, so maybe we were due:-D  My baking yesterday definitely reflected this happy, rejoiceful day.

Strawberries and rhubarb have always been one of my favorite spring-time combinations; it started with my grandmother's compote that she made for us, if my older sister left enough strawberries to pick (only teasing!!)  This "deconstructed" crumble was inspired by her compote and we enjoyed it with doors opened and birds singing.

A crumble is a dessert of British and Irish origin and one my mother made often with the fruits of the season.  Although it can be either savory or sweet, the sweet version is definitely the preferred!  Typically, fruit is baked with a topping (crumble) of oats, sugar, flour, butter, cinnamon, and occasionally nuts, only I didn't add them to mine.  I baked the crumble topping separate and after making the compote, added to the center.  These are quick desserts to make and I've shown it "constructed" in my mini trifle bowls for the Easter table, but just as good would be some mason jars for your family outings when the weather is warm.

Deconstructed Strawberry~Rhubarb Crumble
Crumble:
3/4 cup King Arthur all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup (1 stick) cold, unsalted butter, cut into 1/2" pieces
3/4 Old-fashioned oatmeal
3 T maple syrup

Preheat oven to 350F-degrees and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a bowl, mix the first three ingredients, then, use a pastry cutter (blender) to work in the butter pieces.

Stir in the old fashioned oats.  Next, add the maple syrup and stir with a fork to combine into a "crumble."

Spread mixture onto the prepared baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until golden brown.  Don't be concerned if it spreads into one big layer--When it's cool, break it into crumbles:-D

Set aside to layer with the compote.  Any leftover crumble makes for a delicious topping for ice cream or may find it's way into a cookie dough this week!

Strawberry~Rhubarb Compote:
2 cups of sliced strawberries, + 1 cup more added after the mixture has cooled
2 cups of rhubarb, cut into 1/2" pieces
1/2 to 3/4 cup granulated sugar (taste for sweetness)
1 vanilla bean, split and scraped

In a medium saucepan, combine the ingredients and stir gently.  Add the whole bean to the mixture and cook, covered, over medium/low heat until it starts to bubble (about 5 minutes).
Remove from the heat and cool.  Before you layer the compote and crumble, add one more cup of fresh, sliced strawberries.

To assemble ~
Spoon some of the compote into dessert bowls or mason jars, then add a layer of crumble.  Add a little more compote, then top it off with FRESH WHIP CREAM!


ENJOY!



Now, no April Fools, but the winner of March's Give-Away Apron is Kari anne at Thistlewood Farms!  Congratulations Kari anne; please send me your address and the apron will be "winging" its way to you.

It all goes well, I will have April's apron up later today...or by tomorrow at the latest.  Thank you all  for all your lovely comments and inspiring me everyday:-D





21 comments:

  1. 70+ degrees..good for you, Susan. You are not going to believe that we had a snowing Sunday...sighs...
    The crumble looks divine, Susan. Again, no sight of rhubarb yet..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine was from I froze last year! Even Whole Foods said it was probably a few weeks away, but I just love strawberry and rhubarb together, XOXO

      Delete
  2. I love crumbles - they were truly comfort food. Congrats on the Apron winner - she will love it as I love mine!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crumbles are one of the best recipes with the fruit of the season and I agree, a comfort food! XOXO

      Delete
  3. Your crumble looks wonderful Susan. So glad to hear you had nice weather for Easter. Your apron winner is going to enjoy wearing your lovely creation! ♥
    Martha Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fan of crumbles here myself. This looks as delicious and beautiful as ever, Susan. I love the colors and the way it all ties in with the apron.
    Congrats to the winner.
    XOXO's

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's snowing here, perfect weather for a crumble.I have some leftover cobbler from yesterday's dessert so that will have to do!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I forgot to tell you that I made the maple oatmeal cake you posted a few weeks ago. I took it to my book group meeting and it was a big hit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hubby's work loved it too and it has become the most requested "bring in" treat!

      Delete
  7. Dear Susan, I am so happy to hear that some of our Colorado sunshine made it to you over Easter. Your featured compote is a very traditional German dessert, did you know that? I LOVE it. My rhubarb is still growing, but I can't wait to harvest it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had rhubarb plants again; I had such a lovely crop of it and asparagus every spring when we lived in Connecticut.
      It must be why my mother made it a lot--she was German and Irish. XOXO

      Delete
  8. So happy you had some lovely weather! It was just beautiful here today. Saturday I got to watch Tiger hunt Easter Eggs...so much fun! I must admit that I have never had rhubarb!
    hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next year I promised my grands we'll be together; I know you must have had a ton of fun, XOXO

      Delete
  9. Deconstructed, or otherwise, I love crumbles. Will definitely be trying this one, especially since our rhubarb is almost ready to cut. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks delicious. My grandmother used to serve cooked rhubarb for breakfast and I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Strawberry and rhubarb, one of my favourite flavour combos! And I have a bit of rhubarb left in the freezer. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never had rhubarb! This looks delicious.
    I know the winner of the apron is going to love it!
    Hugs,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this and will try it, but my rhubarb is only JUST up now. I'll have to wait for it a bit.

    Love the apron. You are amazing.

    love,

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Dear Susan....Oh, your recipes, ALL of them, are always so wonderful.

    Strawberries and rhubarb are SO reminiscent of spring, aren't they? The crumble looks yummified.

    Thanks for all your visits to my blog, too. Love it when you stop by.

    Thanks for the stargazer clarification. I love all Asian lilies. Great fragrant family!

    Take care, Susan, and have a sweet weekend! Susan

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's not just your wonderful recipes that amaze me! Another month and another beautiful apron to be posted. I love the way you tie in a family story with your post! May your week-end remain sunny..

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yum! This sounds like a great dessert, Susan! I like the oatmeal/maple syrup combination for the crumble!

    ReplyDelete