Sunday, March 2, 2014

Wholesome Rolls with Kamut & February's Apron Winner

A few weeks ago, I commented on a friend's blog, Angie's Recipes - Taste of Home, who had baked with a grain called Kamut.  I actually had never heard of it, but decided to try and find some for baking. However, before I could even do that, Angie had her supplier send me some and I couldn't wait to jump in and create.

Khorasan (Kamut) wheat or Oriental wheat is a tetraploid wheat species; which means it has 4 sets of chromosomes deriving from two different species.  Kamut is an ancient grain type grown in modern-day Afghanistan and the northeast of Iran.
I used the "rolled" wheat for these rolls that reminded me of oatmeal.  Kamut has 20-40% more protein than hybrid wheat and it's easily digestible glutens is a good alternative.  It also is excellent for athletes and those who need stamina; especially those dealing with a lot of shoveling of snow!

Wholesome Kamut Rolls
1 1/2 cup Almond milk (you can also use regular or soy milk or water)
1 cup Kamut Rolled Wheat
5 1/2 cups King Arthur Bread Flour
1 tsp. salt
1 large egg
2 T granulated sugar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 pkgs. active dry yeast (scant 2 T)
1/2 cup water
1 tsp. honey

In a 4-cup glass measure, mix the almond milk and Kamut Rolled Wheat together.  Microwave on high for 1 1/2 minutes, stir and repeat for 30-45 seconds more.
Allow the mixture to set for 20 minutes to cool.  In a 1-cup glass measure, pour 1/2 cup very warm water (about 110F-degrees), then, add the yeast and honey and whisk to combine.  Allow this to set about 5-7 minutes until foamy.  This is the best way to make sure you have "active" yeast.

In a bowl on the stand mixer, using the paddle attachment, beat the egg, sugar and salt together.  While the mixer is running, pour the Kamut/Almond milk mixture into it.  Next, add the proofed yeast and 2 cups of bread flour.  Mix, just until combine, then, change to a dough hook to finish the bread.  Add the remaining bread flour and oil and mix until the dough forms around the hook and the sides of the bowl are clean.  If dough is too stiff, add more water, about a tablespoon at a time.  It's better that the dough be slightly sticky than too dry.

Remove to a bread board to knead until smooth.
I use a plastic container for rising, but you could be it in a large oiled boil and cover with plastic wrap.
After 40-45 minutes, the dough had doubled in size and was ready to be shaped into rolls.  I divided my dough into 10 pieces, but if you want a "dinner-size" just use the amount of dough you want.

I sprayed a large baking sheet with baking spray and formed the rolls into a ball, then flattened the shape.  Spray with a commercial egg-white wash spray or whisk an egg white with 1 tsp. of water and brush the tops.  Sprinkle with sesame seeds.

Place plastic wrap over the rolls and allow another 30 minutes.  Preheat oven to 375F-degrees.  When the rolls have doubled, place in the preheated oven for 18 minutes until golden brown.


The house smelled wonderful and I couldn't wait to split one for my lunch.  Wouldn't this be a great way to spend a snow day? Enjoy?


Now, for the winner of February's apron -- Phyllis from Around the House!  Phyllis please contact me with your address and I will get this cheerful apron sent to you, XOXO

I'm hoping I have my sewing machine back this week; I have the fabric chosen and it's a beauty!


 

17 comments:

  1. Congrats Phyllis!
    We eat kamut pasta,soooo much nicer than any other we've tried.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hubby said these were the best rolls I ever made--and i've made a lot!

      Delete
  2. My daughter used to make bread with Kamut grain years ago. It's been such a long time since we've had it, but if I remember right, it tasted really good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now isn't this interesting. I have a grandson who is a notoriously fussy eater. I'm wondering...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those rolls look spectacular. I wonder if you could just use rolled oats in the place of kamut?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Exchange old-fashion for the Kamut, but I guarantee the Kamut tasted great.

      Delete
  5. This looks like such an interesting recipe Susan! I can imagine how heavenly this smells! The apron is precious! I know Phyllis is going to treasure this as much as I do mine! You do such an amazing job! Love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the combination of the Kamut with the Almond Milk was a definite winner and I'm so thankful to Angie for introducing me to this product. Takes bread baking to another level indeed, XOXO

      Delete
  6. Those rolls look so perfect! ... and as for that chrysanthemum (or are they zinnias?!?) fabric ... four stars all round!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats to Phyllis! She will love her new apron...you make the very best! I've never tried the egg wash but it sure would be easier to use and I like the shiny rolls! Enjoy your week, Sis!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh bread! oh yum! i could live on rolls like these susan. and that is the worlds cutest apron, congratualtions lucky winner!

    ReplyDelete
  9. bread always makes the house smell great and fresh baked bread is so good warm with a little butter.
    stamping sue
    http://stampingsueinconnecticut.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look tasty and healthy to boot. I'll have to look for kamut. We love whole grain breads at our house. xoxo ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hadn't heard of Kamut before, but it sounds very healthy and those rolls look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow Susan, those dinner rolls look wholesome! I am so happy that your family loves it.
    Thank you so much for the shout-out!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I am so excited to have won one of your beautiful aprons, my oh my they are beautiful...I can't wait to get it and I will have to get in that kitchen and start baking something,,,thank you so much for picking me...I have emailed my address for you and I wish I had one of those dinner rolls right now to make a little sandwich for my lunch, oh well I will be thinkin about the rolls anyway....take care and thanks again,,Phyllis

    ReplyDelete