Saturday, August 13, 2016

Apple Pie Bread Pudding

Bread pudding was something my mother made quite often.  It was her way of using up stale bread, especially homemade bread with no preservatives.  I saw this recipe on FB and it intrigued me, but of course, I did change it up a bit to make it.  I think my Mother would call this dessert "Poor Man's Apple Pie!"

Bread pudding is popular in many countries; in the Philippines it's made with bananas and in Mexico, it is served at Lent and called Capirotada.  Mostly it is a dessert, but I have been known to make a savory one as well.

Apple Pie Bread Pudding

6 slices of white bread, cut in cubes
3 large eggs
1/2 cup Half & Half
1 tsp. Vanilla extract
2 tsp. Apple Pie Spices (or you can use 1 T ground cinnamon)

In a bowl, whisk the eggs, half & half, vanilla and spices together.  Add the bread cubes and use a rubber spatula to make sure they are completely coated.
All the bread to sit while you fix the apple filling, soaking up all the liquid.  Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350F-degrees (175c).  I used a 10-inch iron skillet to bake mine pudding in, but you can use a round baking pan as well.  Place 4T of unsalted butter in the skillet and place it in the oven to melt. Remove from oven and spoon the bread into the pan, pressing down slightly.

Apple Filling:

3 Granny Smith Apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
3 T cornstarch

In the same bowl, place chopped apples, brown sugar and cornstarch in it.  Stir until the apples start to release their juices and the mixture is thoroughly combined.


Spoon on top of the bread cubes and pressing down lightly.  Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes or until the apples are soft and golden brown.

To serve, slice in wedges.  You can add a scoop of vanilla ice cream (I didn't have any) and drizzle with caramel sauce, which is what I did.  It was wonderful and brought back memories of my mom's bread puddings. Enjoy!

12 comments:

  1. I'm not sure I have ever had bread pudding but I would try it for sure! Apples, cinnamon and caramel...oh my!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Mama and my Aunts made bread pudding all the time. It's the dessert I remember on the table at Sunday dinners. Your apple pie bread pudding would surely please anyone at your table, Susan. XOXO ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never thought of adding apples to bread pudding. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks good! I have only had bread pudding one time, and that was at a restaurant!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't remember when I last had or baked a bread pudding. This looks so GOOD with the apple pie filling :-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great fall dessert; too bad I didn't have any vanilla ice cream.

      Delete
  6. Oh yum! I love bread pudding. Sometimes, it is my very favorite dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Susan. Oh my GOSH. That looks lush. You are such a wonderful cook/baker. Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my friend. I bake from the heart...just like my mom:-D

      Delete
  8. this is my kind of recipe. I will be trying this one soon. Susan thanks for sharing.
    stamping sue
    http://stampingsueinconnecticut.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete